Resume: Who was it for?
Thanks for your interest! Is your organization seeking a talented UX designer that can actually code responsive sites and apps, with decades of experience who excels in fast-paced, Agile/Scrum and Lean UX environments?
If so, your search is over: My name is Ezra Ekman, and I'm the solution you've been searching for! I've been designing responsive web sites, hybrid and native mobile apps, and building brand and identity systems for over 25 years, from startups and consumer-facing apps to enterprise operations for multinational Fortune 100 companies.
User Experience Designer Delivers Exceptional Results Under Tight Deadlines
Meticulous User Experience Designer with 25+ years of experience designing and building mobile applications and responsive sites is fluent in all aspects of digital experience design, from inception, UX research, and design, to code implementation and testing. A self-motivated leader, always seeks process improvement utilizing collaborative influence between teams and passionate vision to build consensus. Excels in fast-paced Agile and Lean UX environments, guiding Scrum methodologies while also keeping things simple, palatable, and balanced.
Strengths: Bridging the gap between creative and technical teams; assessing project scope and level of effort; identifying personas and user journeys; conducting user studies and heuristic evaluations; establishing and matching existing brand and style; rapid prototyping; mentoring, coaching, and managing teams of 5 to 50.
Infosys Technologies: Principal User Experience Designer
Jan 2012 – Present
- Directed user experience design and led UI development for T-Mobile’s consumer and small business refresh.
- Architected BP’s Trade Confirmation and Executive Operation mobile apps for instant trade status availability.
- Refreshed UX and visual design on Aetna’s Workability site, increasing usability for thousands of employees.
- Modernized Ricoh’s sales quoting application design, improving quoting speed and accuracy for all sales staff.
- Built proof-of-concept prototypes and videos for prospective clients, resulting in a 90%+ sales success rate.
- Led teams of onshore and offshore UX designers and UI developers, ensuring consistent client deliverables.
- Partnered directly with client executive leadership, stakeholders, product owners, and end-users.
Myspace: UI Design & Development Lead
Jan 2010 - Mar 2011
- Developed 4 high-traffic automated and community-driven support sites, serving millions of users daily.
- Improved the findability of help topics, increasing contact deflection without confusing or frustrating users.
- Captured and produced video tutorials, improving help articles and make Myspace features more intuitive.
- Designed wireframes, mockups, and style guides, and photographed executive portraits and company events.
University of California, Office of the President: UX Designer & Developer
Jan 2009 - Jan 2010
- Developed 3 web-based portals, including California Digital Library and eScholarship, improving discovery and accessibility of articles and research for more than 40,000 UC students, faculty, and librarians worldwide.
- Interviewed users, defined personas and user journeys, produced wireframes, and built clickable prototypes.
Shopping.com: Front-End UI Developer
Jul 2007 - Sep, 2008
- Designed and coded 12 high-traffic comparison shopping sites, including Shopping.com, DealTime.com, Epinions.com, and over 20 additional co-branded sites, each serving millions of unique visitors daily.
- Hand-coded SEO-focused CSS and HTML templates; designed buying guides, landing pages, and eBay widgets.
Contract User Experience Design & Development
Aug 2000 - Jul 2007
- Designed and built web sites, iOS and Android apps, and digital campaigns for over 80 independent brands.
- Managed numerous simultaneous projects while defining brand strategy, developing scalable web sites, developing corporate training courses, and designing wireframes, mockups, logos, and other collateral.
ePlay, Inc.: Web Designer & Developer
Jun 1998 - Jul 2000
- Collaborated with other designers and developers to redesign and launch the ePlay Children's Web Site.
- Redesigned brand, revised information architecture, generated content, and created character illustrations
Skills and Expertise
Usability and Design
- Performing extensive user research and championing user needs, designing for user-centric design principles.
- Conducting usability surveys, interviews, focus groups, and task-based studies in controlled environments.
- Defining interaction design standards and scalable solutions through responsive, mobile-first experiences.
- Graphic design considering both aesthetics and Section 508 accessibility, including screen reader support.
- Analyzing the end-to-end customer experience journey, including customer service and device-based usability.
- Hand-coding clickable, functional prototypes with production-ready code to ease asset handoffs to developers.
- Crafting sprites, CSS-only behaviors, and best practices to boost performance when page rendering speed is key.
- Preparing visual style guides and design pattern libraries for consumption by both design and technical teams.
- Establishing quantifiable and testable metrics through bucket testing via prototypes and live environments.
Project Management and Leadership
- Estimating project scope, timelines, and level of effort through card-sorting and point-based systems.
- Identifying long-term strategic objectives and then adapting to quickly changing, real-world business conditions.
- Composing user stories, tracking projects, and reporting defects via Basecamp, Slack, Rally, JIRA, and Bugzilla.
- Conducting candidate interviews, making hiring decisions, mentoring new employees, and coaching teams.
- Managing multiple cross-functional teams by maintaining positive reinforcement and individual empowerment.
- Performing individual and classroom instruction and clarifying complex topics to a non-technical audience.
Software Proficiency and Design Tools
Axure RP, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, Dreamweaver, Premiere), Balsamiq Mockups, BBEdit, Blender, Coda, Cubase, Eclipse, Final Cut Pro, IntelliJ IDEA, Logic, Notepad++, OmniGraffle, UltraEdit, Visio.
Aetna, Alltel, Ann Taylor, Baker Hughes, Barclays, Boeing, British Petroleum, DirecTV, Enbridge, Hewlett-Packard, Intel, Lexus, Myspace, Nokia, Radisson Hotels & Resorts, Ricoh, Salesforce, Shopping.com, Sun Microsystems, T-Mobile, Tropicana, University of California, W Hotels, Wadsworth Thomson, Yahoo!
Tinkermill: Child Education Outreach/Photography Training and Instruction
Feb 2017 – Present
- Initiated child mentoring efforts with schools to focus on STEM-based learning, using 3D printers, laser cutters, Arduino microcontrollers, and other creative activities designed to encourage design thinking and exploration.
- Built a photography station and taught photography courses.
Four-Wheel Emergency Assistance Team (FEAT): Emergency Personnel Transportation
Mar 2016 – Present
- Transported doctors, nurses, and emergency and disaster relief workers during extreme weather conditions.
OMEGA Search and Rescue: Disaster Relief/Training Support/Photographer
Mar 2016 – Present
- Assisted in the training of local police and armed forces, and participated in local search and rescue efforts.
- Photographed and documented organization efforts and events.
I've developed over 100 independent brands during my career, some of which are listed below. Hover your cursor overTap each of them for a brief description of some of the projects with which I've had the honor of being involved:
Led a team of UX designers and UI developers to redesign Aetna's Workability leave management portal, improving access for hundreds of thousands of customer employees. Performed a heuristic analysis of identify current usability issues and pain points, redesigned the entire user experience, and led UI implementation efforts.
Created PHP-driven HTML and CSS prototype and implemented content for Ann Taylor's career portal.
Led a team of UX designers to completely redesign the Barclays Equity Finance Workstation suite of applications and convert them to a single, web-based application. Interviewed stakeholders and end-users, designed wireframes and mockups, and defined implementation guidelines.
Established multiple mobility applications for BP’s Trade Confirmations and Executive Operations to provide instant status availability to leadership. Traveled to London and Singapore offices to gather leadership needs and project requirements, traveled to India to liase with offshore engineering teams, produced functional proof-of-concept prototypes, and designed both native and hybrid apps for iOS and Android.
Led multiple teams of UX designers and UI developers both in Calgary and offshore to design the interface for Enbridge's Capacity Operations suite of tools.
Created and enforced branding, usability and Section 508 accessibility standards across over 2,500 Hewlett-Packard web properties. Acted as the Single Point of Contact for brand and usability queries serving all Hewlett-Packard departments.
Designed interface and developed muliple templates and landing pages for the Lexus Bluetooth portal site in partnership with Let's Talk.
Worked with a team of designers to develop templates and implement content for a site-wide redesign of the NetLedger brand.
Developed over 300 micro-sites for individual Radisson Hotels, defined best practices and implementation techniques, and produced custom screensavers for presentation kiosks.
Developed 12 high-traffic comparison shopping web properties, including Shopping.com, DealTime, Epinions, and over 20 additional co-branded sites, each serving millions of unique visitors daily; hand-coded search engine optimized CSS and HTML templates; designed buying guides, landing pages, and eBay shopping widgets.
Designed interfaces and dashboards for project managers, and implemented content for many internal tools, micro-sites and internal portals.
Created promotional micro-site for product sales.
Created promotional micro-site for discounted cell phone sales combined with guest packages.
Developed custom data-driven graphs and data tracking interfaces in Illustrator using Adobe Graphic Server as a data source.
Designed and developed multiple sales and activation landing pages matched to the primary brand.
Led UX activities for a suite of mobility applications designed to support oilfield maintenance operations and allow live updates from the field.
Developed education and career site, implemented new design and content.
Shot and produced a promotional video resulting in approval for ongoing projects.
Created branded icons and UI elements for vendor software products.
Developed 4 high-traffic sites serving millions of users daily. Designed and built both direct and community-driven support options to improve contact deflection without reducing usability or user satisfaction. Defined coding standards for local and remote engineering teams, performed usability studies, created video tutorials, and photographed executive portraits and company events.
Created promotional micro-site for cell phone and accessory sales and activations.
Redesigned Ricoh’s sales quoting application to improve quoting speed and accuracy for all levels of direct sales. Performed a comprehensive heuristic analysis and ongoing usability research, traveled across the east coast to interview over 30 end users in person, utilizing audio and video recordings.
Designed and built Salesforce's Small & Medium Business micro-site. Developed the Dreamforce registration site and built re-usable templates to support scalable implementation.
Led the redesign of the T-Mobile's Small & Medium Business lead site, led UX design and UI development activities for T-Mobile’s consumer site relaunch. Also shot and produced multiple promotional videos resulting in full funding for additional project phases.
Developed 3 high-traffic portals (including California Digital Library and eScholarship) to improve accessibility for over 40,000 UC students, faculty, and librarians worldwide. Interviewed users, defined personas, journeys, and user stories, produced wireframes, mockups, and prototypes, coded UI templates utilizing YUI and JQuery, and developed an informational site on safe pesticides and alternate pest control methods.
Designed and developed browser-based reference interfaces delivered on CD-ROMs for inclusion with textbooks.
Designed and produced Williams Adley's corporate web site.